7/23/2014

The Rainy Season is Over ...... Summary Rice Soup from Miyazaki Prefecture


The rainy season is over now, which was announced by meteorological bureau yesterday.  Ha!  We are now starting to enjoy non-stop over 30 degree days!

It's about 33 degrees with high humidity today, tomorrow will be quite similar....

I made this, a typical summer food for breakfast.   There seem to be about three regions eating this and there are styles of each region.  Those are Miyazaki, Yamagata and Saitama.  Although, Saitama is the closest to Tokyo, I did not know that they had this.

What I have been enjoying seems to be the one from Miyazaki, though I often make easy, modified, pseudo ones, for often I don't find all the ingredients in my fridge.

This morning, I put 1/2 cucumber ( thinly sliced ), 1 piece of myoga ( thinly sliced) , 3 leaves of Shiso ( Japanese basil chopped ) into the miso soup, which I chilled with several ice cubes.  Then put some rice into it.

Yum, yum.   Soothing for hot summer morning.  I did not put any tofu this morning, yet it felt like nutritious enough with miso and herby vegetables.

When I was a child, I did not know of these local foods from different regions.
There are so-called antenna shop from each region introducing their specialty.... you can find these shops in central Tokyo area.  Oh, I have not written much about them.  Oh, right!

Will try to write about them also.  Good that I realized that today.  Thanks for reading. 

1 comment:

larry_90066 said...

When it gets that hot out, I make cold noodles with green onion and chashu