12/24/2013

Christmas 2013

In December, generally Japanese people are busy with so-called bonenkai, or year end party in which we usually get together with business associates, colleague or friends etc.etc.....

I had several dinner gatherings...... several nice places and dinners I enjoyed, which I will write about later.

One of the places was interesting... owned by first lady.... prime minister's wife, Mrs. Abe.  So, look forward to it!

Last night, I went to my alma mater to join their Christmas.  Looking back of my schooldays ( middle school and high school total 6 years ), the school always gave us a piece of Christmas cake.  The cake is usually shortcake.  It is packed in a mini box and we bring it home and eat.  Sort of small gift from school.

Then the other day, when I was having dinner with my American friends, I heard that there is no Christmas cake in the U.S. or there is no custom eating that.

Oh, I see.  Eating shortcake or fresh cream decorated cake with some strawberries on the top is very Japanese.  :-)

I would love to hear about your dessert situation at Christmas dinner table and the culture in your country.

In the meantime...... Merry Christmas!    Wishing you a merry, heartwarming Christmas or Happy Holidays!


Christmas Tree in the middle of High School Yard


3 comments:

Laurie said...

Happy Holidays to you, here in home in Canada we do eat cake at Christmas but it is fruitcake, a dark moist dried fruit filled cake, probably our ancestors from Scotland brought this tradition with them when they came to Canada, one Tradition we have is pumpkin pie, it really is more of a Thanksgiving thing but we have it at Christmas as wel.Because the only true first peoples of Canada are the native people Ojibway indians in our part of the country and they never celebrated Christmas the rest of us just have a mish mash of all the different cultures who came here from all over the world, its like a big stew pot filled with every country imaginable.I know in our family we eat Perogies at Christmas from our Polish relatives, Pullah bread from Finland I could on but I'm sure I am boring you, we are a mixed up cuisine for sure,

Jiten Mallik said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yasuko Watanabe said...

Thank you , Laurie.

Happy New Year and Wishing you a fruitful, prosperous, healthy 2014!

Fruitcake, oh, I see. Yes, I guess I have seen something like that in British cooking book, similar to Minced Pie?

Ojibway indians, I will check it on wikipedia or somewhere later. This is interesting, for I always think food represents the local culture and history.

You never bore me, thanks for the information.
We are originally not Christian... I mean we celebrate Christmas and nowadays even Halloween, yet very few people think about the original meaning since we take it more like some seasonal events.

Y