7/14/2011

Hiyamugi ? or Somen ?

Chilled Mackerel /Tomato Noodle
When I was small, I couldn't tell the difference between Hiyamugi and Somen.  These are both similar to UDON noodle, but both are served mainly only in summer.

The ingredients are same.  Both wheat flour.

Hiyamugi is slightly thicker.  That's all.  I haven't researched the origins etc..... when I find time, I will.

Anyways, this was my dinner today.  Glad that I had some time to cook this today.  Yesterday it was so hectic and my meals were convenience store lunch and instant pasta.  ( sauce was instant. )
I am not complaining about the food themselves... ( if I think about those people who are still suffering, I cannot complain ! ) But not having cooking time is irritating.
Another thing is there are foods and ingredients that are waiting for me .... in fridge, basket etc..... so, I am happy today.

( These days, convenience store foods are not bad actually.  It's just not cost effective.  Also I feel " mottainai" .....)
Ingredients:
1 tomato
1/2 canned mackerel
1/3 cup of chopped green onion
1 table spoon of ground-up sesame seeds
1 bundle of hiyamugi noodle ( dried.... just like pasta )
1/2 cup of ready-made mentsuyu ( soba sauce )

1. Cook hiyamugi like pasta.  Boil water and put hiyamugi, cook for 4 min.
( if it's somen, the cooking time is much less.... usually 1.5 - 2 min. )

2. While waiting, make the sauce.
Pour mentsuyu into a bowl, add mackerel, chopped tomato.

3.  When the noodle is done, drain and rinse well in running water.

4. Place the noodle on the plate, add sauce w/tomato, mackerel.

5. Add sesame and green onion as topping.
( if the noodle is still warm.  add a few ice cubes. )

Enjoy !

No comments: