5/28/2011

Fukushima Status / Food Safety

It really requires energy to write about this.  Where should I start ?

There are too many layers and issues involved into this incident and challenge.

For today, let me write about food from radiation-contaminated area.  Unfortunately, I cannot mix up the sympathy for the farmers there and the scientific consideration.  I have been donating for them, but cannot buy and eat their vegetable.  At restaurants, maybe without knowing those vegetables have been served on dishes...yet when I can choose, I buy products from southern regions.

The other day, there was eco-market near my place.  The girl was saying with smile, " we are selling vegetables from Iwaki city !".  I thought " are you sure ?  if you think, this is eco-market, you shouldn't sell it ! ".  Instead, I didn't go....

Helping those people and choosing safer food is different issue for me.
I think those farmers should be helped by either TEPCO or government and the compensation should be guaranteed for their lost assets and incomes.
I am not willing to help them ?  No, I am not saying that.

Some news or people are saying.... " It's harmful rumors.  Vegetables are safe. "
If there are all the data for all the vegetables scrutinized well enough and studied by researches , I would eat, but even if the prime minister eats cucumbers trying to show that it is safe enough, I'm not convinced....

TEPCO's information changes everyday and I cannot trust what they say anymore...
Ministries are indicating different levels' mSv as the limit.... what's going on !?
Mext is saying 20mSv  a year, Meti 1mSv, Mhlw 50 mSv including food ....

If Japanese government is serious to invite more people to Japan, information should be properly disclosed with actual data.  Scientific explanation should be added also.

3 comments:

laurie said...

I read another Japanese young woman's blog,, "It Will Stop Raining" and she says the same as you,, not very much trust is there when they keep changing their minds on whats safe,,

Yasuko Watanabe said...

i need to check her blog, thanks, laurie.

laurie said...

thanks for visiting,,