12/22/2009

Anita Brookner --- A British Novelist

It is almost Christmas.... for many of you, it is already holiday season. I have not prepared or sent any cards this year. Also, new year cards.... I should start working on them soon.

Anyways, today's subject is reading books. It is difficult to find time to read books these days... there are so many things to do and also so many things to read.... news on Internet, business papers etc. etc..... Yet, I always loved reading books, so decided to squeeze out some time to start reading " books" again. This means the real books....books for pleasure, books to think....

There are piles of books in my room. Some were given by my friend who works at publisher.... these are in English. I have read some of them, yet have not completed reading those....stopped before finishing somehow. I would love to go back to them. I have some other Japanese books I have been reading in parallel.

The one I am concentrating at the moment is Anita Brookner's ( A Booker prize winner ) " A Friend from England", which is impressing me with its wise, ingenious expression and exquisite observations. I am reading in English. I should probably read it in Japanese also and compare, yet I feel I should enjoy her beautiful writing in its original language. Unfortunately, it seems only a part of her work have been translated into Japanese, which is understandable in a way since her work is rather introspective and not a kind of glamorous story.

However, her story made me realize again how amusing to read books was.

No comments: