It is said the origin of this tofu ( bean-curd ) is Mt. Koya.... that is where the name came from.
The monks of Mt. Koya created this.
At supermarket, you can easily find it, if you are in Japan. If you are in cities with Asian market, it should be there.
This is my original recipe.
1 turnip including its stalk and leaves... cut into bite size.
5, 6 pieces of Koya-Dofu. ( If they are big ones, soak it once into lukewarm water and squeeze.
Then cut into bite size. )
Dashi Powder ( sort of Japanese soup stock powder), Soy sauce
1. Boil 2 or 3 cups of water.
2. Add dashi powder (approximately 1 tea spoon ....to taste)
3. Add sugar ( about 1 tea spoon) and add Koya-Dofu and turnip.
4. Keep cooking and add soy sauce. Cook till the water is almost gone.
5. Add cut stalk part and leaves of the turnip. Cook for another 2, 3 min.
6. Stir well. Taste it and if it is not salty enough, add extra salt or soy sauce to taste.