This is called " Daigaku Imo " in Japan, the direct translation is College Potato. This is sweet potato , candied with sweet sugar sauce.
There are various stories about the origin of this name. One is " because this was favourite of poor college students " . Another is " there used to be a cart selling this sweet potato in front of Tokyo University . " etc. etc....
Anyways, this is still popular sweet in Japan and I wanted to make it at home. However, I didn't want to cook DEEP FRIED food at my kitchen since my kitchen will be messed with oils....
Then I found convenient all in one recipe at Hanamaru.
Handful Sweet Potato ( as you like ..... I used 200 to 300 grams of potato )
3 big spoons of Brown Sugar
1 tea spoon of vinegar .
1 tea spoon of soy sauce
1 tea spoon of water
3 big spoons of Grape Seed Oil ( I use this as vegetable oil. )
Black sesame seeds ( Toasted )
1. Cut potato into big bite size. ( You can see it in the photo ).
2. Wash them and paper towel dry.
3. Put sugar, vinegar, soy sauce , water and oil into the pan. ( I used frying pan. )
4. Stir well and add cut potato into the pan. Spread in a single layer.
5. Cook 2 min. the first surface for 2 min. and then next surface for another 2 min..... repeat this and cook all the angles of the cut potato. Total is 6 to 10 min.
6. While cooking, the sauce gets thicker and browner. This sticky candy will be tasty sauce !
7. Glaze potato in the sweet sugar sauce ! Sprinkle toasted black sesame seeds over the top.
Will write about Yokohama 's China Town tomorrow. Look forward to it ! I have one place to recommend.