4/06/2008

Japanese Life Style in Edo Period --- Vol. 1

Edo period is 1603-1867. I like studying history. I mean I didn't study much during school days, but now I am so into history and I love reading historical novels, watching period dramas....
I bought a book about Edo Period ... how people were living and what tycoon was eating etc...

According to this book written by Ms. Junko Yamada, whose profession is advisor of historical authenticity for these kinds of drama making. The book is published by Jistugyo no Nihon sha.

It seems there was a ranking for fish. The highest was carp. ( We still eat carp, but I didn't know it was so highly ranked in those days.... ) No. 2 is Tai, which is sea bream, which is convincing since we eat sea bream for happy events. Then, sea fish, river fish, stream fish......

Then if tycoons or high ranked people ate fatty tuna ? Nowadays, it is one of the most expensive fish part. No, in those days, tuna was ranked lowest. Also, the fatty part was not popular. Lucky Edo cats. I am sure, those cats were happy having fatty tuna ! mmm, I ' m learning.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi! I found your blog randomly through a google search ... I'm trying to research fishing in the Edo period. Could you tell me the title of the book by Junko Yamada? Thanks! ~ Becca
revanhoe@gmail.com

alwayseating said...

Dear Becca,

Thanks for reading my blog.

Hope you read Japanese since it is Japanese book. " Naze, Edo no Shomin wa Jikan ni Seikaku Dattanoka ? " is the title. The publisher is Jitsugyo no Nihon Sha.

Hope it helps.