2/03/2008

TENGU MATSURI & Setsubun


The two photos here are from Tengu Matsuri ( long-nosed demon)'s Festival. This festival is held every year around this time --- around Setsubun. I will explain about Setsubun later.
So, yesterday there were many people who were waiting for Tengu. It is translated into demon,but this demon seems to be protecting our town by warding off evil spirits. After the speech of the program director, the lucky guys who are wearing the white hats started throwing the roasted soy beans. This is the custom of Setsubun. People tried to catch the beans because it means catching the luck or fortunes.
mmm, I couldn't get it and later on one of the lucky guys were handing beans to children, so I came up to him and asked for a few. Well, hope it works for me !
The top is the packaged soy beans I bought at store. That cute red devil is the symbol of evil spirit. You are supposed to eat the same number of beans as your age wishing health and prosperity. I have to eat XX beans. Also at night, you throw the beans shouting " Fortunes in, Demons out !!! " ( Fuku wa uchi, Oni wa soto !!!). Can you see the Tengu in the photo below ?



No comments: