2/03/2008

Setsubun --- The Traditional End of Winter


Today is Setsubun. The old calenderic day of the ending Winter. Dividing seasons --- Setsu is like section, bun is like to divide. It is said in this seasonal change, evil spirits tend to come to you , so you need to ward them off. That is the bean throwing and this decoration at the entrance.
The green leaves are sprig of holly. I don't know if you can see small dried sardine on the top of the stick. The leaves are so sharp and sardine is smelly, so this is supposed to ward off the evil spirits. I don't see this decoration very often, but I like this kind of seasonal events, so bought it when I saw it at super market. Tonight I am going to eat Ehomaki ( lucky direction sushi-roll ).
This custom is from Kansai ( Western ) region. You eat the sushi-roll facing the good direction of the year. ( I heard it is South-southeast this year ). Wishing you all good luck !

2 comments:

dabamehon said...

HI!!THANKS FOR YOUR BLOG,I LEARNED SOMETHING FROM YOU.
TAKE CARE..

alwayseating said...

Thanks for the comment and I am glad that it gave you something.