7/11/2007

Okinawa's Longevity Secret --- Okinawan Dining

Although Okinawa is a part of Japan, it is closer to Taiwan and
their food is much influenced by Taiwan or Chinese, I feel.
In any case, it is not just healthy, it is tasty. I will show you some typical Okinawan Food here. ( Left/the yellow thing on the top is grated ginger. ) Jiimami Tofu:One of my favorite. Jiimami Tofu is made of peanuts. The texture is similar to Bavarian Cream.

( Left ) Goya Champru:
I'm not sure if my spelling is right. Please correct me if you know it. I sometimes cook this at home. Fried Goya ( bitter gourd)
with egg and pork.

( Left ) Mozuku Tempura:
I had it for the first time. It was good ! I often eat mozuku,
but Okinawa's mozuku is thicker. Mozuku is sort of seaweed.
It is noodle like deep olive green thing. The slight smell of ocean
and fluffy and crunchy texure. Best match !


( Left ) Umibudo= Ocean Grapes:
Tiny grape or seed like things. The texture.... You have to try it.
Flavourless ( except for ocean's smell ), yet I like it. To be enjoyed with soy sauce or soy sauce and vinegar. mmmm, one of the things
I always order at Okinawan restaurant.

I forgot the name of this dessert. Made of purple red potato.
It is sweet potato's cousin like one. I think this potato is often seen in southern countries. Probably Ube in Philippines. ( By the way, I love Ube ice cream ! ) These balls were deep fried and and the surface is sesame. Yum !
Kaishin :
Kaishin I
Ioya Bldg. 1F, 3-8-5 Shinjuku , Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
TEL: 03-3358-1353
Kaishin II
Yoshikawa Bldg. 2F, 3-8-7 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
TEL: 03-3355-5183
A friend took me to Kaishin II this time. I think II is little bigger.
If you are in a group, II is probably better. It seems quite popular.
Reservation is recommended. ( After 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. it was so crowded. )

No comments: